Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Murdoch apologizes

How these things play out is always interesting to me. Is this in response to an NAACP boycott of the paper?

Here is Rupert Murdoch's statement,
"Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted," said the statement from Murdoch, who is also chairman and chief executive of News Corporation, which owns the paper.

"I can assure you -- without a doubt -- that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation.

"It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such. We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard, and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community."
Would the cartoon be any less offensive if the victim had been a person? I think reasonable people consider it bad form to editorialize -- by cartoon or word -- the murder of politicians with whom the paper disagrees. "They'll have to find someone else to lead the next invasion"? I don't think so.

No comments: