Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ryan has a new position on abortion

Earlier I mentioned that Romney Spokesperson Andrea Saul had changed Ryan's position on abortion in a public statement she made this past Sunday.  I promised we would be hearing more about Ryan's position and today, we are hearing more.

Paul Ryan's position on abortion has been solid and unwavering for his entire political career. A human being exists at conception and abortion must be banned in absolute terms with no exceptions.

This is not a position from the distant past by a youthful Paul Ryan. Via John McCormick of the Weekly Standard Sept 22, 2010,
In February, Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin wrote a paper for the Heritage Foundation titled "The Cause of Life Can’t be Severed from the Cause of Freedom," and in July, he took issue with Mitch Daniels' call for a "truce" on social issues. But Ryan hasn't gotten on board with the idea of a truce on social issues. "I’m as pro-life as a person gets," Ryan told me in July. "You’re not going to have a truce. Judges are going to come up. Issues come up, they’re unavoidable, and I’m never going to not vote pro-life."

"Never" it turns out, isn't as long as it sounds.  Today, Paul Ryan's position on abortion, changed:
"Look, I'm proud of my record," Ryan said at a brief news conference on his plane. "I'm proud of my record. Mitt Romney is going to be president and the president sets policy. His policy is exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother. I'm comfortable with it because it's a good step in the right direction."
The cause of life can't be severed from the cause of freedom, but it can be severed from the cause of Paul Ryan getting a better job.

To state the obvious, if Ryan honestly believed human life begins at conception he could not abruptly change his position to support some abortions (murders?) for no greater reason than his own ambition and political expediency.

Now before you send me a wrath of hateful and very un-Christian emails, let me state that people of good will can oppose on moral and ethical grounds 'at will' abortions except in limited cases such as rape, incest and the life of the mother.  I personally believe every abortion is a heart-breaking tragedy. But one cannot believe a human being is formed at conception and then support any exceptions to the rule.

No comments: