Monday, December 17, 2012

Gun laws passed today will be for generations yet to be born

Here are some sobering gun statistics courtesy of The Huffington Post.

270 to 300 million guns are owned by 70 to 80 million Americans.  I'm one of them.

45 million Americans own handguns.  I'm one of them.

96 percent of the Gun Lobby's $3 million in donations in 2012 went to Republicans.  Without Republican buy in, Democrats are only tilting at wind mills.  If you want serious gun control legislation, call your Republican politicians and tell them so. Republican Senators and members of Congress could not possibly care less what the Presidents wants.  You, on the other hand, can influence them.

87 percent of children killed in the 23 wealthiest countries are our children -- American children.

Passing more restrictive gun laws will not solve our gun problem over night.  It will take many generations after we pass these gun laws to reduce 300 million guns floating around this country to a much more reasonable level.  And I define 'reasonable' as only having guns related to hunting and sport shooting.   Republicans and NRA Democrats like to use this fact as a justification for doing nothing -- make the perfect the enemy of the good.   This is dishonest and we need to call it as much.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  We can make this step now.

Gun buyback programs in big cities can do a lot to reduce guns available for random violence, but only if we seriously limit the market for new tactical guns. 

As I said above, I'm a gun owner.  I inherited several hand guns with my father passed.  I immediately traded all but 1, for a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I also inherited 1 shotgun.  When I was younger, I used to hunt but haven't in many years.   The handgun I kept was a collectable.  It occurred to me this weekend that it was time to dispose of the collectable handgun, but I have no idea how to do so without making our problem worse.  I see no harm in people owning shotguns and bolt action rifles used for hunting.

By the way, I have close to zero hope anything positive will come from the Newtown Connecticut  tragedy.

No comments: